canberrabirds

Japanese Birding: Part 2 -- (Long)

To: <>
Subject: Japanese Birding: Part 2 -- (Long)
From: Tobias Hayashi <>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:10:21 +1000

Hi everyone,

Well, another month has already gone by, and while in some ways it has taken its time, in other ways it has really flown by. School still keeps on going for me, everyone weekday. Although sometimes it feels like a bit of a drag, the teachers that we have are really nice people, and the classes can often turn out to be quite funny. I guess with such a varied mix of foreigners, it is always bound to be interesting. Portuguese and Chinese seem to be the two dominant languages, but everyone speaks at least a little bit of English, which is nice.

I haven't really been able to get out birding as much as I would have liked this month, primarily because of the horrible weather that has insisted on hanging around since almost the beginning of the month, with only the occasional respite. The weather did, however, bring the first decent snow falls of the year, both times enough to turn the Ageo white the following morning. On the second occasion, I awoke to find the world completely covered in about 5cm of snow. I quickly dressed and headed out with the camera, and no sooner had I stepped outside than a group of 10 White Wagtails flew in and landed at eye level in the snow on next-door-neighbour's roof. I had no idea what prompted them to fly to my window in particular, but after about 10 minutes of getting cold feet, they flew off, leaving me to hurry down to have a slightly late breakfast.  The best start to a school morning by a long way!

Following the first dump of snow (on the 1st of February, coincidentally), I headed out to Meiji Jingu Shrine with the idea of photographing birds in snow. Naturally, the birds preferred not to get cold feet, so that idea quickly fell through. However, I did manage to find a single White's Thrush, which are uncommon and hard to find at best. Very similar to our Zoothera thrushes back home, particularly the Bassian Thrush.

A birding friend (Kaz) invited me to come along with him to twitch some raptors that had turned up about 3 hours drive from Tokyo. Of course I accepted, so on the 7th we drove out, stopping on the way at a medium-sized lake which proved to be very fruitful. A large flock of Smew were visible even as we got out of the car, and on closer inspection Common Teals, Eurasian Wigeons, Tufted Ducks and Spot-billed Ducks were out in force. There were also a few Great Crested Grebe and a single Slavonian Grebe, an uncommon winter visitor. Some terrific spotting from Kaz netted  first a female then a male Baikal Teal amongst the commoner species. This was very unexpected, as Baikal Teal are rare at best in the Kanto region. The male, in particular, was an absolute stunner of a bird, strikingly patterned and coloured. A definite highlight of the month.  Moving on the raptor spot, we were treated to some outstanding raptor birding. We had terrific views of birds of prey such as Eastern Marsh Harrier (common), Hen Harrier (uncommon visitor), Merlin (uncommon winter visitor--the males are really beautiful), Peregrine Falcon (uncommon resident), and the ubiquitous Black Kites and Eastern Buzzards. In addition, we also got our target species: Upland Buzzard, bird no. 100 in Japan for me. Upland Buzzards are a very rare vagrant, one of the first records in the Kanto area in several decades I believe.  Although there was some confusion at the end of the day over a possible Rough-legged Buzzard (another vagrant), it was overall a  bumper day of birding, with 11 new species for me.

The bad weather persisted for the rest of the month, although I did still manage some birding. Another outing (this time with Kaz's birding group) on a rainy day still netted birds such as 4 species of bunting (Common Reed, Siberian, Rustic and Black-faced), 4 species of thrush (White's, Pale, Brown-headed and Dusky), Great White Egret, Hawfinch etc. The only new bird of the day came in the form of 5 Falcated Teal, found in very dim light on a large man-made reservoir.

A break in the weather on the 19th allowed me to visit Meiji Jingu again after school (this is quickly becoming one of my stomping grounds :) Highlights were outstanding views of Varied Tits, dynamic little birds that they are. This trip also produced my first Grey Bunting (a male, thank goodness), and a thrush that had me thinking Eye-browed Thrush (until I was later corrected: a very odd Pale Thrush with a confusing white eyebrow).

Another break in the weather allowed me to visit a local park with my grandmother. It was ridiculously busy, not with mothers and toddlers, but with bird photographers. Nearly every single person in the park was carrying some sort of a camera and watching birds, it was ridiculous! The cameras ranged in size from small compacts to massive black and white 1m long monsters to cameras attached to tripods, which made it kind of interested to see who had which camera/lens. That aside, the amount of people was very frustrating. The only birds of note were some Long-tailed Tits and a Long-tailed Rosy Finch (female again).

Lastly, I met up with another local birder (Chris) and together we went back to Maioka Park in Yokohama (the same park that I visited with Kaz last month). This time we managed to find the Solitary Snipe, and ended up having fabulous views of it. It has a very funny habit of bobbing up and down continuously, especially whilst feeding, somewhat like a Common Sandpiper but much more regular, very rythmic. Odd to watch. Solitary Snipe are an uncommon resident in mountain streams in Honshu, and are usually very hard to locate due to their remote habitat (mountain streams). However, recently a couple seem to have taken up residence at Maioka Park, providing a much easier opportunity to see this elusive species. We also had extremely close views of a Common Snipe that seemed unusually unperturbed by our presence.

So that has been my month so far. I hope it is of some interest to some members of the chatline.

Attached is the 'image of the month': a Varied Tit, taken at Meiji Jingu with a berry/nut in its beak. They have a habit of foraging amongst the leaf litter for berries/nuts, and then flying up into a nearby tree and smashing the berry/nut against the branch.

Hope you are all keeping well and keeping up the birding.

Cheers

Tobias

Browse profiles for free! View photos of singles in your area.