canberrabirds

Bees or Wasps?

To: "Mark Clayton" <>, "'John Layton'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Bees or Wasps?
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:43:07 +1100
Certainly sounds like European Wasps, and they are around Wagga etc. The folks at Gelatissimo (including customers - job for the kids!) should be trying very hard to track them to their nest and arranging for its eradication (not a job for amatuers). Attached are a couple of brochures sent to me last year by our local expert, Philip Spradbery (I assume still contactable at m("netspeed.com.au","sprad"); CTRL + Click to follow link" href=""> ). We had huge numbers  around this time last year (including constant streams of them coming to our birdbath for the water they need to soften the soil for their underground nests) , but almost none this year because the nests were found and eradicated.
Barbara
Barbara Preston Research
ABN 18 142 854 599
21 Boobialla Street