canberrabirds

For those who are interested... re trees in Canberra

To: "Hastir, Chris" <>, <>
Subject: For those who are interested... re trees in Canberra
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:15:12 +1100
Many thanks Chris for your posting.

COG's views were sought by the Commissioner on the issues around the role of the urban forest and Canberra's birds and after discussions with her it was suggested that it would be more useful to arrange a Forum at which various experts in the field be drawn together to discuss the issues. I felt it important that COG had a role to play in this and so  have arranged for the Forum to be held at CSIRO on Friday 19th at which I have been asked to speak on this issue.  This I have agreed to do and so Martin Butterfield and I will present data on the frequency of various birds using and breeding within the urban forest.  Data will be drawn from the COG Garden Bird Survey.  In addition, there will be a session on the role and value of nest boxes and a session on how best to value add to the surrounding rural woodland matrix.

I would urge all COG members with a view on the Urban Forest Renewal Program to attend the public sessions advertised by Chris' posting.

Chris Davey