canberrabirds

Trees

To: <>
Subject: Trees
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:33:29 +1100
Thanks Geoffrey for the evidence, it seems that E Mannifera is well able to be brittle without galah assistance. But I do urge you and anyone with an interest to look at the almost incredible extent and location of chewing on the trees I mapped in previous post. I'm told by my tree surgeon friend that this chewing goes to the Cambium layer. This layer is responsible for all new growth including scar tissue, while the disappeared layers above (phloem and bark) are responsible for protection and downward transport. Without new growth for several years on the upper side, the branch is seriously weakened in its highest tension location. Additionally, without protection the exposed old growth becomes dried and subject to rot, so is weaker again. It takes years or decades for the scar tissues to re-cover such large areas even if the galahs move on to another sport, and in this time there is ample opportunity for the forces of decay to do their work.

I don't think most bird-lovers are aware of the extent of such behaviour and resulting damage. If it weren't such a serious risk/problem, arborists wouldn't be spending their time installing galah-proof barriers to these parts of at-risk trees. The damage is very obvious even standing underneath and I recommend the Corroboree Park short stopover if you go past for Christmas.

PS I don't know if it really is galahs alone or various cockatoos that are responsible.