canberrabirds

Trees

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Trees
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:00:36 +1100
As mentioned, dangerous branches can be separated from dangerous trees. The tree in question certainly had some risky branches, a fact that had been pointed out to TAMS some time ago. For whatever reason this advice was not acted upon until one of them fell recently. Now after some attempts to get quantified information on the integrity of the tree (which may or not have been completed and may or not have supported drastic action), TAMS presumably used advice from the consultant Ian mentioned and then elected to do what they did i.e. remove all but the tall stump immediately. From the point of view of the tree, it would be interesting to see any hard evidence that was used to support more than lopping one or two remaining risky branches. No information has been made available publicly which is unfortunate given the feelings of some interested parties and some (non-professional) post-felling opinions that the tree appeared fundamentally sound (which if true would be contrary to what Ian's expert reported).

From the point of view of the nesting Gang-gangs, I can't for the life of me understand why it wasn't possible to leave the felling/lopping for another couple of weeks until they fledged, with whatever precautions may have been legally necessary in the meantime.

The decision making process in Canberra re tree safety activities is not transparently functional despite recent publicity and discussion.

re trees having dangerous branches without being themselves a risk... interestingly in a COG context, I only learned tonight and maybe some others haven't picked up on this either, one of the significant causes of trees dropping branches is the direct result of Cockatoos. I knew galahs would chew around tree hollows but had no idea of how active they are in other areas. There are some excellent examples very close to the Tree In Question of some that have been dramatically chewed by Galahs(?) around the area where branch meets trunk i.e around the fork. This often leads to rot, failure to grow and loss of strength to the extent that those branches eventually fall prematurely. It has been suggested that this behaviour might even be proactive, instinctive hollow-making behaviour since then-fallen branches often leave a nice hollow. Arborists sometimes go to considerable lengths in domestic environments to prevent cockatoo access to these vulnerable areas. This preventive measure doesn't yet seem to have made its way to government pro-activity, even for notable trees or especially risky trees. Anyone who is interested in this behaviour can see some great examples in the trees around the Tree In Question - especially the tree to the right or left of the blue marker on this map ...

<http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=-35.267188,149.142221&spn=0.002729,0.003401&t=h&z=18&msid=109598757085709980006.00047b634eeb4ea3aa1af>

I think E Manniferas are particularly affected -- I wonder how much of their 'brittle' characteristic is due to the fact that their bark seems to attract the best attention of Galahs?

Julian