canberrabirds

Trees

To: <>
Subject: Trees
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:10:31 +1100
Ah yes, the Three Horsemen of The Suburban Apocalypse:  Dogs, Noise and
Trees.

Some astute observations there, Julian.  I doubt that bark-chewing
contributes much to limb-shedding by E Mannifera, the aptly named Brittle
Gum.   I recently had to have one removed from the nature strip,
unfortunately.  It was a wonderful spreading tree of great height, the
largest of its class, that had benefited from intermittent watering over a
life of some 46 years.  A victim of its own vigorous growth, each year it
would shed a few branches and about every second year a large one that would
have been death to anyone beneath and a write-off for any vehicle.  I had to
tell people not to park near it on days like we are having at the moment.
However this year a large branch came through a window, and a few months
later about a quarter of it thumped down in the driveway.  Incidentally, if
you are in a similar position it is important for any property damage claim
that you make 'dangerous tree' representations beforehand.

The point is that none of the fallen limbs showed any disease or prior
damage, although some were naturally hollow.  The brittleness is caused by
the growth habit which sees heavy, often fresh, foliage at the end of
over-long tortuous branches that twist and work in the wind.  The species is
simply unsuitable for street planting, unfortunately.

Now, another experience with a lesson for serious tree-savers.  Nearby there
was a contentious development now some 20-years old.  The section in
question had to be rezoned to allow construction of residences, and this
threatened about 17 mature 'original' yellow-box, all in good health.  The
approval allowed felling of 5, but required preservation of the remainder.
Later 3 were allowed to be removed on representations by the new residents.
However there followed a depressing series of case by case approvals for
lopping of substantial limbs which led to disease and grotesque lollipop
malformation so that complete removal was eventually authorised.  The lesson
is:  if you are told 'preservation of trees will be required' do not believe
it.  The subsequent 'balancing of  interests' will see them all gone.

Now, back to Julian's Tree in Question (TIQ).  I think we are zeroing in on
the main point which is the lack of justification for lopping while there
was an active Gang-gang nest.  The claimed careful decision-making process
described in the letter to Wendy is a fine example of advanced
bureaucratspeak, conveying nothing about what they actually thought about
the issue, if anything.  The involvement of RSPCA was a nice touch but
should have been unnecessary.  It seems incredible that hand-rearing was
really part of the plan.  Not a risk-free option and a lot of trouble to go
to when they could have waited a couple of weeks.