canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:40:58 +1100

Well, weren’t we blessed with the weather for blitz 5. Despite dire predictions, the weather could not have been much nicer for most of the weekend. If only the rain had held off just an hour or two longer on the Sunday … A heartfelt “thank you” to all who got out and surveyed their special spots, and especially to those who have already returned their datasheets. I’m already inundated but will catch up in time. Highlights so far have been the influx of woodswallows. Re the question about estimating numbers, just do your best. In the grand scheme of things, there is not a lot of difference between 500 and 600. Re inability to distinguish between the White-browed and Masked at a great height, just put a note on your datasheet that it was woodswallow sp. I have yet to investigate but there may be a generic code I can use. Most fortunately the 20 I observed were perched on a dead tree along the Cotter Rd and enabled close inspection. All were White-browed, and their colours in the late afternoon sun were a sheer delight. To those who have not yet returned your datasheets, I look forward to receiving them shortly. And do come to the November COG meeting to collect your “thank you” for participating in the blitz – a native plant, courtesy of Greening Australia, plus a chance to win a variety of prizes - books, paintings, photographs, cards, a Christmas pudding etc etc.  I’ll post periodic blitz result updates to this chat line from time to time, as I wade my way through the data. Cheers, Barbara