canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: Barbara Allan <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:17:36 +1100
If using the online data entry, as well as telling Barbara, why not include "Blitz" in the comments field for the benefit of future researchers.

Martin

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Barbara Allan <> wrote:

Well the weather forecast for the weekend is not promising. Saturday morning appears the best option, if you can manage your surveying then. A few nature reserves have still not been “adopted” for the blitz. How about spending an hour or two (or more) on 24 or 25 October, counting birds in one of the following spots:

  • Rob Roy NR
  • Mt Pleasant NR
  • McQuoids Hill NR
  • grassland reserves except Dunlop.

Or if you prefer to venture further afield, several of the good walks in Namadgi NP are still up for grabs:

  • Hospital Hut
  • Yerrabi Track
  • Square Rock

If you are venturing well down in NNP, be advised that Boboyan Rd is decidedly potholey at the moment – passable in a 2WD according to NNP staff, despite the advisory signs, but be careful.

Plus there are many nooks and crannies in all grid cells that may warrant a closer look. No-one has spoken for Norgrove Park, for example. All of the city parks – Glebe, Corroborree, Haig, Commonwealth etc – might be worth a look.  Even your local urban park may throw up some surprises. Areas such as Hill Station, Rose Cottage, Lanyon have not been specifically spoken for. And the western fringe of the Monaro Highway is as usual unloved, as is J14 (Scrivener Dam) and Fairbairn Pines.  Even the Uriarra and Cotter Rd circuit has no takers. So all of you who have been hanging back, get out there and give it a go! Remember that even though a location or grid cell may be adopted already, more bird counters are always welcome. At this late stage, just do the surveys, don’t bother to tell me. I shan’t update the Excel spread sheet or map again as there have only been modest changes.

And remember that if you are submitting your blitz entries via the COG data input program, please advise me by email when you have done so. And if you are submitting via hard copy, please do so promptly directly to me, or to the COG PO Box, or to the red box at the next COG meeting.

Happy birding! – even if it rains. Barbara