canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:02:14 +1100

Many of the best nature reserves in the ACT have still not been “adopted” for the blitz. How about spending an hour or two (or more) on 24 or 25 October, counting birds in one of the following spots:

  • Tidbinbilla NR
  • Stromlo Forest Park
  • Mt Mugga Mugga NR
  • Rob Roy NR
  • Mt Ainslie NR
  • Mt Pleasant NR
  • Isaacs Ridge NR
  • Wanniassa Hills NR
  • McQuoids Hill NR

I’m particularly keen to find someone to do Isaacs and Mugga Mugga as I have a park volunteer from those spots who’d like to go along with a competent birder.

All of the grassland reserves except Dunlop are still up for grabs but I’m not too concerned if we miss them this year as they were relatively unproductive last year. But if you want to give them a go, please do.

Or if you prefer to venture further afield, several of the good walks in Namadgi NP are still up for grabs:

  • Hospital Hut
  • Yankee Hat
  • Yerrabi Track
  • Square Rock

As well as the many profitable roadside stops around Corin Rd, Apollo Rd, Fitz’s Hill, etc.

Plus there are many nooks and crannies in all grid cells that may warrant a closer look, even your local urban park may throw up some surprises. So get out there and give it a go! Contact Barbara if you would like to select one of these spots, or anywhere else, to do your blitz surveying. Remember that even though a location or grid cell may be adopted already, more bird counters are always welcome. I shall be at Wednesday’s monthly COG meeting if you’d like to talk about your options. b