canberrabirds

some Blitz highlights

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: some Blitz highlights
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:42:51 +1100

Prue and I spent yesterday blitzing in the southern part of Namadgi, including the Naas Valley Fire trail, and sites along Boboyan Road. The weather was really nice.

Highlight was a flock of 500+ Masked and White-browed Woodswallows exploding from trees along the Naas Valley fire trail as 2 Brown Goshawks cruised past, they flew high in a tight mass, but most returned after a few minutes. Many birds were diving back into the trees at high speed from 100 metres or more above them, all very spectacular. We walked amongst the tree where they were to try to get a better feel for the numbers of each species present and estimated about 4 WB to every Masked. Their chip-chip calls were heard on and off throughout the day but we could rarely see them, how many there were over the southern part of the ACT yesterday is anybody’s guess, but I reckon thousands.

A Brush Bronzewing calling away not too far from the carpark at the start of the Naas Valley fire trail, naturally it stopped as soon as we went looking for it – I have still to see this species in the ACT

Lyrebird and Spotted Quail-thrush at 2 sites each, breeding records for 7 species

Very few cuckoos (except Fan-tailed which were recorded at most sites as usual) compared to previous surveys, only a single Horsfield’s Bronze

8 spp of lizard and 4 spp of frog, no snakes though

Small Snake Orchid (Diuris subalpina) along Naas Valley Fire Trail

cheers

Steve