canberrabirds

Pelagic problems

To: <>
Subject: Pelagic problems
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:05:45 +1100

The IDer.JPG

From: Daniel Mantle [
Sent: Wednesday, 21 October 2009 11:54 PM
To: ;
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Pelagic problems

Hi David,

Sorry about the slow reply, not sure if anyone has replied to you offline in the meantime. Firstly, I would suggest your large all brown bird with the very pale bill was a young Giant-Petrel sp. There are often still a few Giant-Petrel around well into October and later. The vast majority of Giant-Petrel occuring off the East coast are immature birds which are prone to hanging around longer into the spring. On the Wollongong and Ulladulla pelagics over the weekend we saw several Northern and Southern Giant-Petrel (typically, all immatures).

As for the shearwaters, at the moment rafts of 200 or more are most likely to be Short-tailed Shearwater. There were large numbers observed during the weekend trips but they are not reaching the peak migration volumes just yet. There are also good numbers of Wedge-tailed Shearwater around inshore and both species should be readily identifiable in flight (even at a distance). The Short-tailed Shearwaters are likely to be moving south in much tighter flocks - often in rolling, arching groups with relatively rapid wingbeats. Short-tailed Shearwaters hold their wings straight-out from the body, whilst Wedge-tailed Shearwater hold their wings well forward at the wrist and have a more relaxed, low flight.

The Short-tailed Shearwaters also have greyish underwing panels - a variable feature, although only rarely as white/silvery or as extensive as in Sooty Shearwater. Furthermore, at this time of year the STShearwater upperwing secondaries can also appear contrastingly pale to the darker wing coverts and primaries. Short-tailed Shearwaters can have much darker brown heads which contrast with the paler brown (?tan) mantle, belly, breast and upperwings. This, along with the contrastingly pale upperwing secondaries, may be what you described as the tan coloration on the wing and mantle.

The other all dark shearwater that should be arriving back in our waters during October is the Flesh-footed Shearwater but we saw none at the weekend and it is rare to see flocks of 200 off the East Coast. They also tend to be further offshore with only much small numbers along the coast.

I attached some photos - the STShearwater are from this weekend, so their plumage should be similar to the birds you saw, but the others are last summer's birds.

Cheers Dan