canberrabirds

ID please - Cinnamon Quail-thrush

To: <>
Subject: ID please - Cinnamon Quail-thrush
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:05:40 +1100
Thanks everyone.  As usual most people replied off list (which I think is a pity) but all agreed on Cinnamon Quail-thrush.  For the benefit of people interested, main points were...

- habitat is only likely to suit Cinnamon.
- range is JUST possible for Chestnut but not any others, other than Cinnamon for which it is bang in the middle.  They are common in the area I saw this one.
- plumage as Dan says is consistent, noting that the plumage is renowned for being variable on this bird.  Pizzey (and Doyle) points out "recognized for a great range of shade, reflecting the colour of its varied arid, exposed habitats".  (Mind you this was written when Cinnamon and Chestnut-breasted were considered the same species so those words might reflect that variation).
- my main doubt of Cinnamon was a misreading of Pizzey (and Knight) that made me think it was rare.

Julian