canberrabirds

Half a wattlebird

To: Anthony Doyle <>
Subject: Half a wattlebird
From: Beth Mantle <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:00:49 +1100
Hi Anthony,

Yesterday, while surveying for Superb Parrots near Mulligans Flat, Con Boekel and I noticed a young Eastern Rosella with a similar problem; Con likened it to a "flying quail".  Later on, I spotted a young magpie with missing tail feathers, not long after Con had observed a pale-morph Brown Falcon in the vicinity.

We wondered if the missing tail feathers were the result of a failed/aborted raptor attack, and Brown Falcons are known to take large and small birds as prey (see McDonald et al (2003), "Territory fidelity, reproductive success and prey choice in the brown falcon, Falco berigora: a flexible bet-hedger?" Aust J Zool 51(4), pp. 399-414).

Cheers,
Beth

Beth Mantle
H: 02 6287 7860