canberrabirds

"It was big enough to swallow a birdwatcher whole...".

To: <>
Subject: "It was big enough to swallow a birdwatcher whole...".
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:16:11 +1100

The more-travelled chatliner will have noticed that the crypto-birdwatcher which appeared in a previous message on this subject was a New Guinea carved figure from the Murik Lakes, near the mouth of the Sepik River.  This is the home area of Michael Somare, the present Prime Minister, who first gained that position at independence, back in 1975.  Crocodiles (“puk-puks”) are totemic objects for several New Guinea peoples, as are hornbills (“kokomos”) and cassowaries (“muruks”, not to be confused with “muriks”).  I suppose crocodiles are still responsible for a few deaths and maulings among village people each year.  In the 1960s, hunting for skins dramatically reduced crocodile numbers and a ban was introduced on dealing in skins of over 20 inches in belly width, corresponding to a live body length of 8 to 9 feet.  This was an attempt to conserve the breeding stock.  I may be wrong, but I believe that commercial crocodile farming, as now practised at some places in Australia, was first developed in New Guinea under the Australian Administration.

well not really a birdwatcher.jpg