canberrabirds

Mulligan's Flat

To: COG list <>
Subject: Mulligan's Flat
From: con <>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:09:27 +1000
A good morning for birding at Mulligan's Flat with over 50 species recorded. No snow, sleet or gale-force winds. Noteworthy were:

Pied Butcherbird, Mistletoebird, Sittella, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Little Black Cormorant, White-winged Triller, Brown Falcon, Noisy Friarbird, White-throated and Western Gerygones, oh, and five Superb Parrots.

There were dozens of fresh 'saucers' which I presume were made by Painted Button-quail but although I quartered out from the saucers, I failed to sight any of the birds.

Breeders included: Buff-rumped Thornbill (dy) [these were close to the nest with young recorded during the Woodlands Survey last Sunday - and that nest is now abandoned], Striated Thornbill (dy), Sittella (nb), Magpie (ny), Noisy Miner (on), Magpie-lark (on), White-winged Chough (on) Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Galah, Crimon Rosella, Eastern Rosella all did a bit of (ih).

While some Common Starlings are starting to sing in trees with hollows, I also saw a flock of 60. This flock gave itself a nasty surprise by trying to land in a dead tree already occupied by the Brown Falcon.

Con