canberrabirds

Re: Pied Buthcherbird and other dry country birds

To: "COG list" <>
Subject: Re: Pied Buthcherbird and other dry country birds
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:53:34 +1000
I am actually responding to Con's Mulligan's Flat report, but in a general sense.
Con's report of a Pied Butcherbird triggered this report.

That species is reported in Steve Wilson's "Two Centuries of Change" book, as being subject to occasional sightings in the ACT, notably at Mulligan's Flat.
Similarly, Black-tailed Native Hens are subject to "irruptions in large numbers are a feature of the life history of this inland bird" (SJW op cit). These birds have been frequently reported on this forum in recent weeks.
The same pattern obtains for the Whiskered Terns which are currently at Jerrabomberra Wetlands (Kelly's Swamp).
Similarly, Western Warblers, and the now seemingly commonplace Superb Parrot, and the no-doubt about to be annoying Koel.
Occasional reports of Diamond Doves at the Newline Quarry (from memory in this case) further demonstrate the point I am trying to make.
I am ignoring the now commonplace Crested Pigeons and Corellas (and of course, Galahs).

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, Canberra is obviously experiencing a dry season influx of birds which were seldom if ever seen there when I was a resident, in those cooler, wetter years from 1959 to 2000.

Next suggestion:- watch out for Pratincoles.

I shall leave it to more experienced commentators to assess if this is a 'Seasonal Blip" or Climate Change in action.
But I feel the trend ought be noted, not just the species reported (as if they are "normal").
In the long term records for COG, these reports are far from "normal".

I salute the good work done by Philip Veerman and Martin and other COG statisticians. But I ask that they please do not take me to task for unscientific use of the statistical term "normal". That's why I put it in quotes.

But I cannot resist trying to draw together a pattern from individual records, which with 50 years of birdwatching in the Canberra region behind me (as of this week) is strikingly obvious.