canberrabirds

Crescent HEs and Bowerbird nest

Subject: Crescent HEs and Bowerbird nest
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:42:42 +1000

It is in section 191d.
If you go up the southern side of the Sydney Gully towards the main Crescent HE activity there is a white signboard pointing to the Glasshouse Display. A few metres up the path beyond that is another sign 'Forests by the Sea' . Behind that notice is a 3-trunked tree with some dead liana on it. The nest is in an upright fork about 4-5 m up on the left-most trunk. There is some fine dead creeper hanging in front of it.

Muriel et al,

I can tell you why it is now abandoned then..... about 6-8 weeks ago or so while I was working at the ANBG (I finished my contract on the 30th June) we had a windy weekend and a small tree fell in that area. It contained the bulk of that (now dead) creeper, most likely the only reason you can see the old nest that was there. At that height it was a solid mass of vine, no visibility from the ground at all I would imagine? I haven't been to the area to see the nest, but your description and mention of the "fine dead creeper" pretty much HAS to be that spot. If so, there's the remains of a stump just above ground level where we removed the tree and associated vine.

I'm mentioning this just to explain why it probably would now be abandoned... it is far more exposed than it would have been the last time it was in use.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia - USDA Zone Equivalent approx. 8/9

Growing an eclectic collection of plants from all over the world including Aroids, Crocus, Cyclamen, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Galanthus, Irises, Trilliums (to name but a few) and just about anything else that doesn't move!!