canberrabirds

European wasps & birds - BAITS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, "Julian Robinson" <>, <>
Subject: European wasps & birds - BAITS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Perkins, Harvey" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:14:34 +1100
I was stung on the thigh by a European Wasp while riding the motorbike near the Civic Pool last Tuesday.

An interesting, if painful, coincidence as Phil Spradbery and I had been guests on 2XX's Fuzzy Logic science program on 11 January. It was the first time I'd seen Phil since we were both still at CSIRO Entomology 18 years ago. We talked about European Wasps, sheep blowflies, screw-worm flies and other pest insect, pest animal, and general science matters.

But that's neither here nor there, apart from in the context that European Wasps have suddenly emerged as a hot local topic.

I think that wasps are potentially a bigger threat than Common Mynas and, given the lack of any government commitment to their control, perhaps a community-led action group along the lines of CIMAG should be established.

Harvey Perkins
CRC Strategy and Communication Section

Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research