canberrabirds

European wasps & birds

To: <>
Subject: European wasps & birds
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:15:03 +1100
Around here (O'Connor and Lyneham, just down from the O'Connor Ridge) there have been exploding numbers of European wasps over recent weeks. I had never seen them around here before (I've been here since 1993), and now they are getting water from one of our bird water pots in a constant stream, and hunting insects etc all around the garden. I've been working with neighbours to try to find the nest/s, and a friend in Lyneham has just rung to say she has very large numbers of them on the ground meat she had put out for their lizards (they are registered carers/owners).
I had not previously been aware of the impact the wasps can have on bird life - following from the link http://www.actbeekeepers.asn.au/information/european_wasp/european_wasp.htm :

Because of high densities and their insect-foraging activities, European wasps can destroy virtually all insect species in an area vith up to l00kg of insect and spider prey per year captured by foragers for a single overwintering nest. This heavy insect predation pressure results in a decrease in biodiversiry through loss of birds and other predators which feed on insects. There is also a potential for a decrease in plant pollinating insects with potentrially disastrous consequences for native plants.

So it seems important that we try to find nests where-ever they are, and get them eradicated . . . These wasps should not be ignored!
For further info, or to report nests, contact Philip Spradbery at the
European Wasp and Insect Identification Hotline
XCS Consulting
Phone: 02 61621914
Email: m("netspeed.com.au","sprad");">

I welcome any suggestions.