canberrabirds

Another Koel - and a bronze wing, and a chough

To: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Subject: Another Koel - and a bronze wing, and a chough
From: "Charmian Lawson" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:48:18 +1100
Hi Rod

This bird has indeed been very vocal for weeks now - it seems to travel round the suburbs of Duffy and Holder, and its persistent call can be quite irritating, at least I find it so! I tracked the Koel to a tree in Spowers Circuit a week ago, and thought I would at last see it in the flesh, but it either went completely quiet when I stood under the tree, or more likely, flew off when I was trying to pick it out amongst the dense foliage. You may have noticed one day when the Koel and the bronze wing pigeon alternated their calls early in the morning for hours...

For some days now there has been a single chough walking on the ledge round the fourth floor windows of my workplace at Woden. It peers in, pecks on the window, and yesterday actually flew into the window. It disturbs some of my co-workers who think its red eye is evil.......

Charmian