canberrabirds

Another Koel [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: Another Koel [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:42:36 +1100
Nah still in the page side of scullin.  I've heard a few diff calls from it or they also.  It was gettin harrassed by the wattlebirds (whose young were in feeding on the callistemon over the weekend) this morning in my backyard.  The wattlebirds are the only things aggressive enough to get past the Mynas which no longer have chicks! woo hoo but the parents are still swoopin the dog.  Hopefully the Magpie Larks and others will come back soon. Rainbow Loris are making the most of the Silky Oaks around belco. Haven't seen any superbs lately, must be all out west at holt :-)

Yes Phil got me smilin on the 'savour' one - yummy - might have to delve into the freezer. But no I was being serious - how many do they actually save and do they limit it just to waterbirds?  I'd like to know their plans for after duck hunting has been banned? cos it will be. How much work have they done to wetlands in WA, NSW and Queensland lately? Duck hunters still go out on fox drives in those states, or shoot foxes, cats, pigs, rabbits, hares whilst they are out surveying wetlands!!!  Conservation is about management - put value on a resource and humans will save it!
Buy packaged meat and veggies from the supermarket (that is if you don't go take away everynight), get a wide screen TV for every room (which also has to have an ensuite), a hotted up expensive car for p platers but don't kill a whale!  It just comes back to the out of sight out of mind thing again - people get emotional about seeing a whale harpooned but don't even care that they are killing the whole planet at the same time!

Back onto the Wattlebirds I've noticed quite a few feeding on the yellow and orange flowers of those succulent things that are quite common and out in force at the moment in canberra gardens.

I haven't noticed many either but some Silvereyes passing thru Ngunnawal - I reckon if ya checked around any plum trees ya might find a few???  Also seemed to be more blackbirds and sparrows there - not sure if it is the age of the suburb or maybe there's no mynas nearby?????

Can't remember if I've already reported this but the pair of Sacred Kings are still on the powerlines either side of the entrance to the pitch'n'putt and drving range in Narrabundah.