canberrabirds

Brown Quail in Kaleen

To: <>
Subject: Brown Quail in Kaleen
From: "Jim Longworth" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:29:48 +1100

On my regular dog walking route,  along the new Gungahlin Drive Extension (near Barton Hwy), have heard what I first thought was a small raptor calling. I scanned the sky for a kestrel or falcon and couldn’t see anything.

The caller then revealed itself by making a short flight at the western base of the new tree plantings along the GDE mound – some kind of quail or button-quail. I went through the BOCA field guide to birdsong and the closest match is a Brown Quail.

So matching that call to that species was new for me. Are BQs common in the ACT?

Location is here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kaleen,+act&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=64.580211,107.226562&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.227865,149.118526&spn=0.003725,0.006545&t=h&z=18&g=kaleen,+act

Cheers

Jim