canberrabirds

Superb Parrots

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Superb Parrots
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:17:01 +1100
Peter Ormay wrote:

Does anybody know whether Superb Parrots need native ground cover to feed on? I suspect not and would probably have happily fed on exotic grasses and forbs in the area and used the trees for roosting (and perhaps nesting?).

The following may go some way ,at least, in providing an indicative answer: 11:00 Hrs today on Holt Oval near intersection of Beaurepaire Cresent & Southern Cross Drive ~ ten Superb Parrots flew from ground to Elm trees, while two males remained feeding as I walked by within 5m. I can say with some certainty, reinforced by a number of prior sightings with binoculars, all were feeding on a surfeit of samaras (fallen fruit of elms), to a lesser degree of certainty I suspect they were also consuming seeds of grasses & forbs, all plants in immediate area are exotics.

John K. Layton.