canberrabirds

Rosella progress and photos

To: "COG List" <>
Subject: Rosella progress and photos
From: Bron King <>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:08:39 +1100
I reported a pair of Eastern Rosellas nesting near our back door. A quick look in the nest while the pair was away
revealed that five of the six eggs had hatched and the babies were vigorous.

The male calls from a nearby perch 4 or so times a day after which the female leaves for about 10 minutes. The birds always seemed the most wary of the nine parrot species we've seen here, now seem comfortable with our movements.

Since 3rd Dec the birds continue successful raising of their chicks despite our close proximity,
and the flapping sounds from the box promise fledging soon.

For those interesting in photos here's a sequence of the development of the chicks over a month.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bronkin/BreedingEasternRosellas#

Bron King