canberrabirds

matching the call to an image (& name)

To: <>
Subject: matching the call to an image (& name)
From: "Graham Wright" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:24:55 +1100

Hello Canberra bird-lovers,

Having recently moved to Yarralumla, I have gained an interest in the local birdlife. We live on the edge of the old Canberra Brickworks reserve so we are fortunate to wake to numerous bird calls and I have been trying to identify the birds that relate to the calls.

One call is driving me crazy; I just can’t put an image to the very distinctive call. I hear it frequently and have caught sight of the bird briefly but not well enough to be able to clearly describe it. I have downloaded and listened to almost every call on the Birds of Canberra website (and the Birds in Backyards site) with no success.

Thus my search led me to the COG web site and my subsequent subscribing to the Canberra Birds mailing list.

The particular call consists of a repetition of the same sound; usually 6 to 9 repetitions. The tempo is like that of someone knocking on a door. It is quite loud and clear and is like tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk. The closest call I can relate it to is that of the Pied Currawong except the currawong is much more melodious and only repeats the sound a couple of times.

From my brief sightings, I’d say it is greyish in colour. It may have some yellow on its chest. However, given my brief glimpses, I wouldn’t be confident of my descriptions. (Amusingly, my best sighting opportunity was a time when I wasn’t wearing my glasses.) When I have heard it in trees nearby, it seems to be perching high in the tree. One time I saw 2 birds alight from the tree under inspection but the other couple of times, I think there was a solitary bird. I doubt that it congregates in flocks. Also, it seems to move around quite a bit as the call may come from one spot once or twice but then moves on. I’d say it is a little smaller than a magpie, perhaps pigeon sized.

I hope someone can put me out of my misery by identifying this bird for me.

Thanks in anticipation,

Graham Wright