canberrabirds

matching the call to an image (& name)

To: "'Peter Ormay'" <>, "'David McDonald'" <>
Subject: matching the call to an image (& name)
From: "Graham Wright" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:33:23 +1100

Thanks for your response, Peter. The call I hear around here differs from that of the recording of the Red Wattlebird in that the call I am ‘chasing’ is much more regular in tempo. Perhaps like a scratchy brass door knocker (not sure if that description helps).

It is quite possible that the call and the image I have described are of different birds.

David McDonald has suggested the call sounds like the end of the call of the White-eared Honeyeater. It is certainly very similar to that rapid end of the Honeyeater’s call. However I am not convinced that it is the same. The call ‘bugging’ me doesn’t have the other parts of the White-eared Honeyeater call although, at times, I have heard a short prelude to the ‘knocking’ part. The repetitive part of the White-eared Honeyeater call is probably a little more rapid than ‘my’ elusive call.

I don’t think it is the Pallid Cuckoo (another of David’s suggestions) either. “my” bird’s call is more regular in pitch (here am I, with a terrible ‘ear’ trying to describe pitch & tone) and there is only one series of ‘knocks’ per call.

I just might have to go roaming with binoculars and camera in hand to resolve my dilemma. Gee, I think I have discovered an interest that I would never have dreamt of taking up. J

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Graham