canberrabirds

New Development in Superb Parrot Habitat & Remnant Grassy Woodland

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: New Development in Superb Parrot Habitat & Remnant Grassy Woodland
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:22:33 +1100
As of today the remnant patch of Yellow Box-Blakely's Red Gum grassy woodland along Gungaderra Creek in Harrison seems to be under threat of development.

This patch of woodland seems to be an essential part of the daily Superb Parrot movements and is also a daily roost site. I have heard that Superbs nested here last year. Can anyone confirm this or provide any details??

Superbs fly to/from the direction of Mitchell/Franklin and pass along the creek and over Harrison (using remnant large eucs) to get to and from Goorooyarroo Nature Reserve. Small flocks have been around since September and despite observing the area often have as yet not found any sign of nesting. The many nesting aggressive magpies have made it difficult as well.

Today surveyors were busy amid the tall grass under the large eucs and two graters were already offloaded from their semi trailers. A bulldozer was busy and fences were going up. Can anyone tell me what the planned development will be?

Surely they can't bulldoze this area as it is a dense patch of old Yellow Box and Red Gum and is (or should be) protected under ACT legislation. In the 10 minutes I spent there this morning I counted up to 10 Superb Parrots.

Cheers

Marnix