canberrabirds

Reporting Koels - why?

To: "Canberra birds" <>
Subject: Reporting Koels - why?
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:29:10 +1100
The collateral damage resulting when some members prescribe which chat topics are acceptable or want to prevent others from posting what interests them (no matter how sensible the proposed restriction) is that it stifles free reporting and free-flowing discussions and more especially, it stops a horde of people from even participating.    A recurring theme of COG-outing conversations is the number of articulate and knowledgeable COG people who say they are too afraid of criticism to post on this chatline and I think that is a shame.  It should not be a nerve-wracking experience.

On the other hand it does not help most of us if the more experienced birders get so annoyed that they take their bat and ball and play exclusively in the twitch lists so that much interesting information and discussion is then lost to the majority.

Everyone has their own interests and level of experience and it'd seem that being selective in which posts to open is a skill that we need to acquire for our own sanity.This ought to prevent most of the frustration that each of us might feel at some time when seeing subjects monopolise the list for a period but about which we have absolutely no interest.

I enjoy the koel and spoonbill sagas although I don't open most of the koel posts since enough of the info is usually in the subject line. It was interesting seeing different people's takes on the spoonbills and what they saw, and how things develop there in 'real time'.  This 'real time' aspect -- following the story -- would be entirely missed if we all reported such info privately to a nominated data recording person.  And in part it is the existence of the public conversation that encourages and reminds people to post at all i.e. it maintains interest.  With private recording it's a fair bet many people would forget about the spoonbills or not bother to report and less info would eventually be acquired.

It really is very easy to ignore every post labelled "Spoonbills at Kellys", but if nothing were posted it'd be impossible for anyone who might be interested to follow developments.

And seeing a dramatic increase in Koel reports on the chatline is as useful or informative as a lot of higher-browed research might be.  It's accessible to all as it happens, highly visible, well reinforced and self limiting.  The costs (requiring some people to ignore some posts) would seem to be small?

Julian R