canberrabirds

Torrens obs

To: "Stephen & Frances Brand" <>, <>
Subject: Torrens obs
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:14:41 +1100
Talking of lone exposed nests has anyone noticed the Darter nest just inside Molonglo Reach very near the Hospice?  I saw it when I paddled the area briefly on Sunday.  It is in a scraggy looking dead willow with no vegetation, about 2 m above the water, very noticeable from the bike path - in fact 2 cyclists stopped for a closer inspection.  There was an adult male tending 3 downy chicks.  A little further upstream were another 2 nests on the opposite side, both also containing 3 chicks.  All in all I counted about 12 active Darter nests during a hurried inspection ( there are probably more) along with 3 Little Pied Cormorant nests also containing up to 4 young.  I wonder if these featured in Blitz stats.

In the area I blitzed last weekend Nankeen Night Herons were up from 1 to 4, Sacred Kingfishers probably 6, and WW Trillers were up to at least 6, probably 8, trying to out-trill each other. Their calls coupled with simultaneous calling from the numerous Reed Warblers, Grey fantails, Superb Wrens, Silvereyes, Red rumped Parrots, Crimson Rosellas, Galahs, Sacred Kingfishers, Blackbirds, a Royal Spoonbill taking flight, and at one stage the far off call of the Whistling Kite - the chorus put me in mind of Mother Nature's symphony orchestra tuning up.

A couple of chance sightings yesterday:
a small raptor (not sure what it was, possibly a Sparrowhawk) above the main drag in Fyshwick;
Common Bronzewing doing a low level pass across Burrinjuck Cres Duffy threaded the needle between my vehicle and another travelling in the opposite direction. Somehow it fortunately missed both of us!

Cheers

Rod