canberrabirds

FW: Protect Kellys Swamp

To: <>
Subject: FW: Protect Kellys Swamp
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:54:19 +1000

I am very concerned with the increased visitation to Kellys Swamp and the effect that this is having on the bird life. Quite obviously the development that is going on in nearby Kingston will see much greater numbers of visitors in the future, many of who appear to have no idea that Kellys Swamp is such an important wetland for waterbirds and waders.

In the past, we have seen evidence of canoeing and dog exercising in and around Kellys, and on father’s day Sunday afternoon I was frustrated while birding by people walking in front of the hides and flushing the birds. There was a game of cricket going on in the grass area near the southern end of the swamp and children riding scooters at the north. It would appear that the decision to cut the grass in front of the hides and on the banks of the swamps has meant that people feel comfortable walking right up to the water’s edge, which completely defeats the purpose of the hides and screening plants.

As a conservation organisation may I strongly suggest that COG makes representation to Environment ACT to have them desist from the practice of mowing as this seems to be the major catalyst for people’s behaviour and is only a relatively recent practice. Also could they consider signage to advise the casual visitor to be mindful of the birds and to use the paths when moving between hides. Furthermore, many of the screening trees and plants have died in recent years and I have seen no effort to replace these plants and rabbit numbers are again on the increase with the damage that this brings. To date I have seen no evidence of a baiting program. Perhaps the government's efforts could be better utilised here.

While I am happy to write as an individual, I think that in this case the collective voice of COG needs to be heard.

Regards

Alastair