canberrabirds

Koel

To: <>
Subject: Koel
From: "Sharon Rusk" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:46:07 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)
Hi !
   Over the last couple of weeks  the Red Wattlebirds have been collecting together in flocks up to a dozen or so. They don't seem to be travelling in any particular direction, but definitely grouping so they could possibly be preparing to leave when the time is right.
 I've been keeping an eye on the Ospreys nest on top of a Telecom tower, and while seeing the pair on the nest its difficult to say if there's anything in it.  It's up near the Ulladulla tip, to find it, turn left at Green St, the Post Office is on the corner , go to the top, turning right into Slaughter House Rd, past the tip by app 200mts and the telecom tower is on the right. There's a property right next to the tower but do not even ask to go in there, the owner is very irate as a lot of people have entered without permission. He refused me entry but said at least I had asked and had been the only one to do so. If you travel another 100 mtrs or so, you can park at the side of the road. A scope would be handy.

Cheers
Bob Rusk
PS- remember,do not be rude and sneak onto some-ones property, You must ask permission to enter .
 PSS- If permission is refused its then you maybe rude and sneak onto some-ones property
                 Essage-------

Date: 31/07/2008 9:41:10 AM
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Koel

Geoffrey and others,

What about looking at this record from a breeding perspective rather than food? The main host here for them is the Red Wattlebird, and they do start breeding early. Maybe koels are arriving earlier to catch that first wattlebird breeding attempt?

It would be brilliant to get some confirmed koel breeding records for our patch.

Anthony