canberrabirds

Koel

To: <>
Subject: Koel
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:00:31 +1000

Before we have the annual ‘early koel’ discussion, may I recapitulate the following from last year.

On 25 Sept Geoff Duggan relayed a report from Yass.  This led Barbara Allan to advise that the earliest RP record was 8 Sept 1989 and that ‘there were very few records before November’.  Martin B contributed that there were several GBS records in 2002 for the second week of October but in most other years they were ‘a week or two later than that’.

In the same exchange I drew attention to a report that year by Stu Harris of one in Hughes on August 11.

The usual stream of reports began with a bird in Hawker-Macquarie-Weetangera on 25 October.

Ian’s report may be the earliest yet, perhaps indicating a new trend, and it would be useful to have it confirmed.  Also any news of what it can find to eat at this time of year.

Most of the above is gleaned from the chatline archive, which exists for such purposes.