canberrabirds

Grid for Newline Paddock

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Grid for Newline Paddock
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:26:23 +1000
Paul Fennell wrote:
Paul

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I am not familiar with KML format, but am
interested to know what the final product will look like, and how we would
use it.

KML (Keyhole Markup Language) or its zipped version, KMZ, is the standard
way of loading points of interest, routes etc. into Google Earth and
Google Maps (though I haven't tried it with the latter.)

In Google Earth, the grid is a set of polygons (grid squares.)  You can
double click on a square to zoom in; once I get the names right and add
a label, determining which grid you are in should be very easy.

I assume you would be using the WGS84 projection.  This would give a final
map slightly different from those maps prepared by Malcolm Fyfe which COG
members now use, because they were based on AGD.  As I understand it the
grids would move about 80 metres to the southwest.  Or put another way, the
points on the map would move 80 metres to the northeast relative to the old
grids.

> This may or may not cause some problems with Grid References.  The main
> hot spot would be I think the Sewage Treatment Ponds which would appear
> to move from L14 to M14.

I did wonder about the odd lat/long values in the COG grid spreadsheet;
they might represent the AGD66-based grid in WGS84 coordinates, but this
isn't stated.  The description of the COG area of interest on the website
also doesn't state a datum.

The PDF map of the grid on the COG website prepared by Peter Cowper uses
WGS84, so the cat may be out of the bag; I used it to correct a few silly
mistakes in generating my grid (at least to eyeball level based on the
road patterns around the airport.)

> Anyway, COG has to bite the bullet about new maps some time.  Your
> approach may precipitate a bit of policy reconsideration.

That may be a good thing - but can we have a new taxonomy first?  :D
Birds Australia has now adopted Christidis and Boles (2008), so the
precedent has been set.

   Paul Taylor                                  Veni, vidi, tici -
                           I came, I saw, I ticked.