canberrabirds

Hooded Robins and Brown Treecreepers but no Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens a

To: COG list <>
Subject: Hooded Robins and Brown Treecreepers but no Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens at Angle Crossing
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:35:47 +1000
Went to Angle Crossing today and then along Smiths Road. Highlights were three Hooded Robins and two Brown Treecreepers at Angle Crossing. The Hooded Robins were in GrK20 and the Brown Treecreepers were in GrK21. The latter is just upstream from the Crossing along the Murrumbidgee and is rated as 'inadequate coverage' by Chris Davey in his recent Gang Gang note (July 2008) on trends in reporting rates for Brown Treecreepers. I was a bit surprised to find that there has not been much coverage for GrK21, because it is a lovely, easily-accessible spot with a good variety of birds. The three Hooded Robins were in the company of Buff-rumped and Yellow-rumped Thornbills and a couple of Southern Whitefaces, on the Canberra side of the Murrumbidgee, and a couple of hundred metres downstream of the ford. The two treecreepers started on the right bank before one flew across to the the western side of the river. I kept a careful listenup and lookout for the heathwrens but I don't think I heard any and I know I did not see any. There is certainly a lot of habitat that looks like it would suit them just fine. There were not many birds along Smiths Road which mainly runs north-south along the ridge on the western side of the Murrumbidgee. Highlights were Varied Sittella, Satin Bowerbird, Wedge-tailed Eagle and Scarlet Robin. Lowlights were the corrugations, and the Alpacas which have grazed their paddock to bare dirt. Not their fault, I suppose. By way of contrast, most of pasture in the paddocks along Smiths Road was in reasonable nick in terms of depth of cover, and the Herefords looked contented.
Con