canberrabirds

Yass River willows, birds and a question about public access to streams

To: <>
Subject: Yass River willows, birds and a question about public access to streams
From: <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:44:04 +1000
Con.

Thanks for the info on the rest of the yass river!!!

We have 450acres on Ladevale rd off the Yass River road (Elms road I think to
be exact) that is on/butts up against the se end of the Mundoonen range.  You
are most welcome to bird on this property when ever you want as is anyone who
asks me.  COG has had one outing there quite a few years ago - more than
welcome for an organized activity whenever anyone wants to arrange.  Camping
facilities are good and a decked out shed put up by the Sth Tablelands 4WD
club when they used to have a training course out there is handy.

I have to go out to get firewood soon so could show you around it then.  All
the usuals and maybe even a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren once (they have been
recorded in Mundoonen range).  The place is awesome for birds.  The hooded
robins and brown tree creepers are even common in the previously disturbed
areas such as the appleboxe corridor planted beside the front lane (just ask
Marnix, he's been out there a few times).  Plenty of Diamond Fires, haven't
seen Quail-thrush yet tho.  Seen pretty much everything else out there
including Stubble, Painted and Little BQ all at the same time within one
hectare!!!!  The vegetation is also pretty good but the cattle that have been
agisted on it over autumn have overgrazed the bloody place - I told my old
man to get in contact with the bloke agisting and get him to take some stock
off or I'll open the bloody front gate!!!  When the old man bought the place
in the early 90's he didn't stock it for a few years so all the regrowth had
time to mature a bit and not get knocked around as much by the stock.

Cheers, Alex McLachlan

mob)     0422 655 393
work)    6249 9065 - Geoscience Australia
home)    15 Mertz Pl Mawson