canberrabirds

Yass River willows, birds and a question about public access to streams

To: COG list <>
Subject: Yass River willows, birds and a question about public access to streams
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:49:24 +1000
Yesterday I birded my way along Yass River Road doing the ten COG Area of Interest grids from the junction between the Yass River Road and the Highway at one end and Gundaroo at the other. This odd behaviour attracted two enquiries about whether I needed help. Nice, in a country sort of way. With the second person, who lives on a block, we discussed the tree planting they were going to do, the birds they were seeing and the birds they hoped to attract. An enjoyable discussion. I recorded an average of about 20 species per grid and there was nothing unusual in the bird world, save for more Nankeen Kestrels and Brown Falcons than usual, as well as big flocks of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos (170) and Galahs (118). Best spot was probably the junction between Berrebangalo Creek Road and the Yass River Road. The highlight of the trip was the enormous amount of work going into willow removal along sections of the Yass River. This River has had a terrible hammering over the past 150 years. Parts of it, just north of Gundaroo, have only grassy banks left, fully accessible to stock, so there it is basically an open drain. Parts a bit further downsteam have only willows as riparian vegetation. Finally, the last bit of the Yass River has been inundated (when there is no drought) by Burrinjuck Dam. The bits along the Yass River Road where the willows are being removed still have the odd mature native tree. It looks raw and naked but here's hoping that restoration efforts result in some high biodiversity value riparian vegetation. I am not sure about the condition of the river upstream from Gundaroo or downstream from the Highway. It was also good to see the plantings and environmental care being taken at the Hall Common. There are cattle on it but the cover is being maintained in good condition and there were a lot of native grasses and other native plants. Over the years the timber has obviously been removed for firewood but the latest falls appear to be being left in situ, which is good. On the sign they had a picture of a Superb Parrot, so not sure if they have been recorded in the Common. Rewarded myself with a Cappucino and a brownie at the Cork Street cafe, which also has first class pizzas if you are ever birding out that way.
I have two queries:
If anyone is aware of a way to reach the Mundoonen Reserve other than via the Hume Highway, I would appreciate the advice. Secondly, in Victoria most streams have public access along the banks. Is this the case in NSW and the ACT?
Con