canberrabirds

Re willows

Subject: Re willows
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:08:43 +1000
The Molonglo Reach Riparian Restoration project was scheduled to start in Autumn 2008 and presumably is within the COGnisance of COG, given point 4. below.  The two links below give more info including a map to show what TAMS considers to be the Molonglo Reach area and I quote some interesting points taken from one.

Some thoughts - a) TAMS are only "fixing" the northern bank so most of the nesting/roosting trees won't be affected as they are on the opposite bank, but birds' privacy and security may be greatly affected as one of the main aims of the restoration is to open up the northern side access to the river.

b) Is this a viable restoration without removing southern bank willows?  Maybe these are the "good" willows of correct type/sex etc?

c) Has COG provided the advice noted?

TAMS MR restoration plan:  http://tinyurl.com/5k8kkf

FAQ (following quotes from) http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/105516/Molonglo_Reach_Restoration_FAQ1.pdf

-------------------
7. When will the work take place?
The majority of on-ground works including weed removal and planting will occur in autumn 2008. Consolidation of the works will occur over the next year and ongoing maintenance will be undertaken as part of the public open space management program.
4. How will the waterbirds be affected?
Cormorants and darters use trees overhanging the river for roosting and nesting. Prior to the removal works, Canberra Ornithologists Group will assess all trees along the shoreline and mark all trees with active nests, for retention. The majority of darters and cormorants are concentrated on the southern shoreline adjoining Jerrabomberra Wetlands and will not be affected.
5. Why is the work occurring at this site and are they being controlled anywhere else?
The site was selected because many trees are dead and/or are senescing and pose a hazard to the general public. Dense thickets of woody weeds are impacting the riparian zone and obstructing the views of the Molonglo River. Given that Morsehead Drive is one of the gateway roads into Canberra and the area around Lake Burley Griffin, the natural assets of the city should be showcased. The riparian zone also constitutes the northern boundary of Jerrabomberra Wetlands. This project initiates a step-by-step program to manage the Jerrabomberra Wetlands by addressing key environmental issues.
1. What plants are being taken out and why?
Plants targeted for removal are either:
a)Environmental weeds which are declared pest plant species in the ACT. These include willows, blackberries, white poplar, hawthorn; and
b)Trees which are dead or in decline and may pose a hazard to the public.
-------------------

At 12:25 PM 5/06/2008, wrote:
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 12:04:59PM +1000, martin butterfield wrote:
> I have just consulted the ACT Government website in search of any
> information about clearance of willows in the Territory but that cupboard
> was bare.  Does anyone on this list have any official knowledge of the
> reason for the current clearances or is it simply that these willows are the
> 'bad' species and funds are available to hire a bulldozer?

Stage 1B of the Canberra Airport road upgrade is the duplication
of Morshead Drive between Dairy Road and Monaro Highway; the
clearing is probably to make way for the second carriageway.

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/roads.htm

   Paul Taylor                           Veni, vidi, tici -
                    I came, I saw, I ticked.
******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, email <>