canberrabirds

Callum Brae Midweek walk 21May

To: <>
Subject: Callum Brae Midweek walk 21May
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:39:25 +1000
The four birdwatchers who ventured out despite the fog had an unexpectedly pleasant morning's walk. The fog had begun to thin as we went through the Narrabundah Lane Gate and headed to the right to climb into the deserted zoo. This area was most productive with highlights being - Double-barred Finch,  Speckled Warbler, Thornbill, a fleeting view of a Rainbow Lorikeet and a very good views of Pacific Black Duck as well as Little Corella.  The sun was out as we headed  towards the open area near the Boral Quarry. Here we saw Flame and Scarlet Robins and lots of Yellow-rumped Thornbill. On our return walk to the gate we revisited the dams and the nearby large healthy eucalyptus trees. One of the dams has mature and small regrowth eucalyptus trees near its wall. Here we were treated to a delightful display of bathing honeyeaters ( White-naped, adult and immature White-plumed plus one or two Yellow-faced). Rufous Whistlers had been observed in the trees as we approached the dam and a male Golden Whistler was seen bathing just as we got to the dam. As we were about to leave the dam a male Red-rumped Parrot was spied in an overhanging leafless branch. We saw 36 species altogether.
Julienne Kamprad