canberrabirds

owlet nightjar

To: <>
Subject: owlet nightjar
From: "Alison and Peter" <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:57:16 +1000
Hi all,

Watched an Owlet Nightjar for about 15 minutes this afternoon just below the summit of the lower peak of Mt. Majura.  I first saw it fly by and then followed it to a perch in a gum tree.  it remained there for ~5 min before flying to a perch in couple of metres above the ground about 20 metres away.   Following about another 5 minutes of observation it flew up to and disappeared inside a tree hollow of a large gum.  After about a minute, it poked it's head up and watched me.  I'd unfortunately left my bag near the base of that tree and as soon as I went to retrieve my bag it flew out and away.

Very nice.

Peter Miller