canberrabirds

Phalaris grass and finches

Subject: Phalaris grass and finches
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:46:09 +1000

Beth
I agree with your views. If you want to see Red-browed Finches on Black Mountain NR and Bruce Ridge NR, head for the Phalaris. In moist, open areas the herbivores cannot keep the Phalaris down so it can grow quite rank and it often sets seed. The Red-browed Finches appear to thrive in it. However, there are areas in the COG area of interest where there are plenty of Red-browed Finches but no Phalaris, so the finches must not need Phalaris to survive. Phalaris not only beats the herbivores, it also outcompetes lots of native plants, so my guess would be that if there is an opportunity to remove some Phalaris to enable regeneration of native vegetation, it would be useful to do so.
Con

Barbara Preston wrote:
Phalaris is a major 'improved pasture' grass from at least the 1960s, and you often see it beside roads etc as well as in pastures (maybe less so in the ACT because of the lack of 'improved pastures' because of leasehold situation). Should be little concern if phalaris is taken out where it's unsuitable there is enough of it around (it's a tall and usually dominant perennial) (I am happy to stand corrected - just knowing it from my family's properties in the central west & New England since the 1960s)
cheers
Barbara
21 Boobialla Street
O'Connor  ACT  2602