canberrabirds

Chank Daw or Cornish Kae

To: John Leonard <>, canberrabirds <>
Subject: Chank Daw or Cornish Kae
From: Geoff Bowen <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:42:20 +0000
John

Small correction: the Cornish Choughs returned of their own volition they weren't re-introduced. They originated from Brittany in NW France.

Cheers

Geoff

John Leonard wrote:
I think the point is that Choughs, whilst they hung on in Wales and
Ireland, became extinct in Cornwall in the C19, despite being of local
cultural significance (being on the coat of arms of the Duchy of
Cormwall &c). In the last few years they have been re-introduced to
Cornwall, so I suppose these twitchers were heading off to add them to
their Cornish list.

John Leonard