canberrabirds

Chank Daw or Cornish Kae

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Chank Daw or Cornish Kae
From: "roger curnow" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:48:13 +1100
Hi John, Geoffery, Philip et al

Not quite spot on John.
Though we (speaking loosely) ate to near extinction our heraldic bird,
 if I had a life list it would include Red-billed Chough,  Porth Curno Cornwall, September 1965.
They didn't disappear "completely" till about 1970
( the last recorded mainland bird was I think 1973 though whether that includes Wales I forget).
They reappeared and bred on the Lizard in 2002.
They are being bred in captivity just outside Hayle, but not as far as I am aware being released.

This poem is from about 1860

THE CORNISH CHOUGH.

          WHERE not a sound is heard
          But the white waves, O bird,
And slippery rocks fling back the vanquish'd sea,
          Thou soarest in thy pride,
          Not heeding storm or tide;
In Freedom's temple nothing is more free.

          'T is pleasant by this stone,
          Sea-wash'd and weed-o'ergrown,
With Solitude and Silence at my side,
          To list the solemn roar
          Of ocean on the shore,
And up the beetling cliff to see thee glide.

     and on....

Will such a quiet bower
          Be ever more my dower
In this rough region of perpetual strife?
          I like a bird from home
          Forward and backward roam;
But there is rest beneath the Tree of Life.

  and on...

          In this dark world of din,
          Of selfishness and sin,
Help me, dear Saviour, on Thy love to rest;
          That, having cross'd life's sea,
          My shatter'd bark may be
Moor'd safely in the haven of the blest.

           Dark Cornish chough, for thee
          My shred of minstrelsy
I carol at this meditative hour,
          Linking thee with my reed,
          Grey moor and grassy mead,
Dear carn and cottage, heathy bank and bower.

        roger curnow