canberrabirds

Quail species...

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Quail species...
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:56:17 +0200

Hello Jack.

How do you explain the superculium, the ear spot and the stripe on the crown? All the Brown Quail pictures I've seen on the web show no markings (eyebrows, crown stripes, etc) on the head...

Think I'll have to upload of few more pictures...

Cheers!

Dimitris

Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Quail species...
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:05:19 +1100

Dimitris, I suspect it is a Brown Quail.

When I first saw it I thought undoubtedly a stubble, but a closer look and comparison with some of the images I'll be showing on Wed evening shows it to be a brown, which does have fainter white lines (than the stubble) on the head and on the back.  It's the lack of real contrast and the chevrons under that lead me to suspect a brown.

It would have been a good one to include with my batch of mystery birds for the audience to identify during the "exam" at the end of my presentation.

Jack Holland