canberrabirds

coming public talk on plant classification - may be of interest to some

To: <>
Subject: coming public talk on plant classification - may be of interest to some COG members
From: "Sandra Henderson" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:06:35 +1100

Plant classification in association with The System of Nature exhibition
Thursday, March 13, 2008, 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Conference Room, 4th floor,  National Library

With Brendan Lepschi, Curator, Australian National Herbarium
Plant names are the means by which we communicate about plants, whether in our gardens or in the bush around us. All plants have a scientific name that uniquely identifies them, but sometimes these names change. This presentation explores the way in which we use scientific names, the reasons names change and how you can keep informed of these changes and what they mean. Recent name changes in the paper daisies, acacias (wattles) and Sturt's Desert Pea will be discussed and explained, along with other insights into the world of plant names.

Bookings: (02) 6262 1271

Sandra Henderson
Executive Support Branch
National Library of Australia