canberrabirds

Bats

To: <>
Subject: Bats
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:35:16 +1100
Many years ago, and tangentially relevant, at least to large flocks discussion, I had the task of investigating problematical interference to Sydney Airport air traffic control radars.  Every evening the operators complained that they lost aircraft in a huge blob of something right on the main approach coming in over the northern suburbs.  It turned out to be a monster colony of flying foxes (don't remember which one) in a secluded valley near Gordon(?). Every evening when they decamped there were so many and spread so widely that they would cover dimensions of a few km on the screen, blotting out the (primary) returns of aircraft overtop.

I had the opportunity to visit the colony, it was damned impressive although not an olfactory sensation

Julian.