canberrabirds

Common Koel in Barton and Deakin

To: "David Rosalky" <>, "COG" <>
Subject: Common Koel in Barton and Deakin
From: "Charmian Lawson" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:58:31 +1100
Hi David

Tony and I had a peewit nesting in our front yard (only a branch away from where she was born two years ago I think) and her chick hatched a couple of weeks ago and finally left the nest last weekend. She is driving her already demented father mad by harassing him constantly for food - that is if he is in the vicinity and not flying at and bouncing off one of our windows. This activity has been going on for weeks and we are actually surprised he hasn't died of exhaustion. It is impossible to dissuade him.

I saw the female back on the nest last week but thought she was tidying it up or perhaps looking after the chick when she was resting. However, Tony found the nest on the ground this morning with a broken egg near it. It seems that the nest was re-used, but that the mud holding the nest to the branch finally gave way after the deluge we had yesterday and it fell. It was sad to see, but better than had it fallen with a small defenseless chick in it. Last year the nests that were built (even using mud from Tony's specially supplied bucket thereof) dried too quickly in the heat it seems, and they also fell, but before any eggs had been laid.

We seem to suddenly have had a large influx of currawongs (including young) which is a matter of concern.

Charmian Lawson
Holder