canberrabirds

Common Koel in Barton and Deakin

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Common Koel in Barton and Deakin
From: "David Rosalky" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:47:59 +1100
My wife and I were walking in Deakin last night (Friday) about 8pm and heard a koel. It was generally in the direction of Red Hill, perhaps at the top end of Melbourne Av. Could well be the same bird that Paul reported.

While I am writing to the list, I might report about the active nests nearby.

The nest of a magpie lark pair successfully fledged a single chick last week. The chick is roosting about ten metres from the nest in an adjoining tree. No more than 1 or 2 metres from the chick, the adults are building a new nest, only about four days after the chick fledged. Perhaps having a single chick lessens the feeding demands and permits the nest building earlier than may normally be the case. My wife asked me why they would not use the old nest and I admitted I don't know. Does anyone have a good answer?

As for the friarbirds 20 metres away from the magpie larks, they have three healthy chicks fighting for space in a very crowded nest. Last evening two of the chicks were on the edge of the nest stretching and flapping wings, so I expect action this weekend.

I promise not to send godparent photos around!

David Rosalky