canberrabirds

Not Black-eared but Horsfield's Cuckoo at Jerrabomberra Wetlands[SEC=UNC

Subject: Not Black-eared but Horsfield's Cuckoo at Jerrabomberra Wetlands[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:54:33 +1100
I think it is probably worth adding that the Jerra bird does not have any
barring.  Most/?all the field guides show at least some barring on the flanks
of juvenile Horsfield's but Simpson & Day seems to be the only one that
mentions that some juvenile Horsfield's lack any bars.  The Jerra bird has
clear rufous in the tail, though, if you manage to get a good look, and this,
along with one or two other factors, eliminates Black-eared, I believe.

Regards
Frank