canberrabirds

Collared Sparrowhawk- ID [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>,
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk- ID [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:13:21 +1000
I dont normally believe in conspiracies, but if there is one then the brown goshawk/collared sparrowhawk would be a prime example.

I think it is all a big joke created by taxonomists/systematicists and ecologists.
I agree with Rogers assessment of Simpson and Day which makes it pretty impossible to distinguish these birds, and most other Field guides arn't much better. In any case, all the features given like 'square vs rounder tail, longer back toe, and different colour- browner' are all poor characteristics for distinguishing species in taxonomy. Not to mention it being almost 'not humanly possible' to distinguish these features in fast flying forest birds.

Probably Christidis and Boles and Mark Clayton were involved in the conspiracy and are cracking-up every time they see a Birder trying to ID an 'Accipiter' flying swiftly through the forest in and out of trees and shadows. When in actual fact they know they are just one species, and how silly birders are, to convince themselves they can see differences. In fact it would make a good Larson cartoon.
And I was one of them yesterday. At least the bird I saw E of Calwell was standing still, but it was within the tree canopy, which made it hard enough. I thought it was a collared sparrowhawk.

Benj