canberrabirds

Spotte Quail-thrush.

To: "Lindsay Hansch" <>, "COG-L" <>
Subject: Spotte Quail-thrush.
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:32:35 +1000
Lindsay,
I looked up my notes on my first sighting of a Spotted Quail-thrush.
It was on 2/12/05 in the Tallaganda Forest ( through Forbes Creek )on the Mulloon FT a. 2km east the Bald Hill FT turn off. The bird was scratching around the leaf matters near tree trunks and granite boulders on the uphill side of the road. Occasionally it jumped up onto the boulders.
Since then I have seen SQ-t of both sexes in that area several times but none recently.
I noticed in Slater's field guide the SQ-t call is similar to a White-throated Treecreeper. Interesting since both of us noted at least hearing W-t T in the target area. However W-t t do run with the winter MFF of thornbills etc. that I would expect and on least one occasion I saw a W-tT.
At one time between the first SQ-t sighting and Dec 2006 I saw a family group of 1 female and 3 young as I travelled from Forbes Creek to the crest of the hill before Hoskinstown.

We travelled the Mulloon FT to Braidwood on Saturday. Mulloon Creek was deepish but passable in the Subaru. We stopped a few times but did not see a SQ-t.
The above site is well before(west of) the Mulloon Creek Crossing.
Regards Julienne